Sunday, January 17, 2010

Chicken 'n Dumplings

I thought I might post some of the meals we have frequently around our house. I'm always looking for new recipes to make weeknight meals easy and weekend meals yummier, as I'm sure many other working gals are (and guys, if you're the main chef in the house!) :-)


Here's how I make my chicken 'n dumplings. Just an apology before I start... I don't measure anything when I make these, so I have no clue what quantities I use. It varies every time I make them. But that's ok! It doesn't make it any harder to MAKE, just harder to TELL you how to make them :-) You can't mess them up. Worst case scenario you make too many dumplings and waste a little flour. Meh, no biggie, right?



Basic ingredient list:


Water
Chicken bouillon cubes
Chicken breasts, cubed (2-3 breasts)
Self rising flour
More water
Pepper, to taste



Fill a large pot about halfway up with water and add bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil. Toss in chicken breasts and boil until done, 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, mix up the dumplings. Pour some of your flour into a large bowl, and add enough water to make a dough that looks something like a drop biscuit dough. Or like the dough in the picture below! :-D

1DumplingDough

When chicken is done, start dropping in small bits of dough.

2DoughDrop

When all the dough is in the pot, reduce heat to medium and let boil for 10 minutes.

3FullPot

Give them a gentle stir as they start to cook, making sure none are sticking to the bottom. Add as much pepper as you'd like.

4MmmPepper

After 10 minutes, reduce heat to low, cover pot and cook for another 10 minutes.

5DumplingFinished


Voila! Chicken 'n Dumplings! See, wasn't that easy? And cheap, too :-) This is more of a weekend meal for us. It's just a little too time consuming for me to fix after we get home from work. But leftovers are wonderful for lunch the next day! This is a common Sunday supper for us. :-)

***A couple of notes: if you add too much water, just add a little more flour until it looks right. If your dough is too stiff, add a little more water. When dumplings are nearly done, taste the broth and see if you think it needs salt. Josh and I don't add much salt to most of our meals, but your family might find them a little bland without it. :-)

No comments: